New Draft on Virtue Epistemology
I've got a new version--the first full version--of my paper "Realizing Virtue: A Unified Virtue Epistemology."
Here's the abstract:
In this paper I will offer a sketch of an account of knowledge which seeks to unify a number of disparate elements the inclusion of which I assume to be a desideratum of a theory of knowledge. The device I will utilize to achieve this unity-in-diversity is that of a functional property—a property multiply realizable in widely varying realization bases. The essential idea is that the property warrant is a functional property: that which epistemizes true belief, that which turns mere true belief into knowledge. The ability of functional properties to be realized in diverse ways provides the flexibility to bring together all the items we want to fall under the concept knowledge.
I go on to pursue the creditable true belief proposal and distinguish between reflective knowledge--where the property that realizes creditiblility is one which entails the property has consciously thought about it--and unreflective knowledge where it does not.
New to the creditibility account is a larger role for deontology. For example, Mr. Truetemp (naive version) doesn't have any kind of knowledge because the discredit for unjustified belief swamps the credit for true belief. No need to advert to confounding notions like safety.
I think I've managed to have the most inclusive account yet (you can judge if that's good or bad!).
It's posted here:
http://www.Trent.Dougherty.net/Philosophy.htm

<< Home